Youth Theatre Leader Recruitment
Warwick Arts Centre’s Creative Learning Team, are recruiting Youth Theatre Leaders for the 2018/19 academic year.
Warwick Arts Centre’s Youth Theatre has been running for over 20 years and is now well established and well attended. It is divided into four groups, three of which take place on a Saturday and one on a Monday evening. We are currently recruiting Leaders for the Saturday Groups, which are as follows:
Youngest Group 08 – 11 yrs
Middle Group 11 – 14 yrs
Oldest Group 14 – 16 yrs
Each group has up to 24 non auditioned members.
The sessions run for 10 weeks, in line with University of Warwick’s term time, and for 3 terms across the year. At the end of each term, the groups works towards a performance with a larger showcase taking place on a Warwick Arts Centre stage at the end of the year in June.
Each group has 2 leaders who work collaboratively to create session plans, facilitate weekly sessions and ensure quality experiences for every participant. The leaders will be fully supported by the Creative Learning Department together with the Youth Theatre Director and Assistant Director and there will also be opportunities for additional training and mentoring to help develop leadership and drama facilitation skills throughout the year.
Youth Theatre Leaders are responsible for creating a positive, safe, supportive and encouraging environment for young people to develop, take risks and flourish. This position is suited to an enthusiastic person with a demonstrable interest in creating theatre with young people and developing their own practice as a Youth Theatre Leader. Youth Theatre Leaders will deliver high quality, exciting and productive sessions during term time, while striving to better their own working practice with mentoring and training sessions provided by the Youth Theatre Director.
Duties and Responsibilities
• To lead (in partnership) all working sessions throughout the academic year unless previously arranged with the Creative Learning Department
• To work with a partner to devise a 10-week plan for the group in advance of the term, to be submitted to the Creative Learning Department
• To liaise with the Creative Learning Department regarding implementation of policy and planning
• To prepare members for any performances throughout the year
• To attend regular planning meetings and other additional meetings as requested by the Creative Learning Department, including the weekly meeting starting at 10.30am on Saturday
• To share responsibilities for the upkeep of equipment and premises
• To foster sound professional relationships with members and their parents/guardians.
• To identify & attend theatre productions suitable for members and discuss with the Creative Learning Department
• To ensure that Safeguarding and other relevant policies are understood and followed at all times
• To actively engage with the training and mentoring opportunities arranged with the Youth Theatre Director
Skills and Experience
• Communication skills; Ability to communicate to and motivate young people in a fun, clear and informative way
• Confidence to experiment and play in new creative ways
• Enthusiastic and motivated about creative learning
• Self-motivated, ability to prioritise own workload and learn new skills
• Resourcefulness and problem-solving skills
• Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team
• Experience of sharing theatre skills and/or supporting learning in formal or informal setting
• Passion for the arts and for creating opportunities for everybody to engage
• A desire to help young people achieve their full potential
• Artistic vision, imagination and creativity
• Administrative skills; session planning, meeting deadlines and communication
• Willingness to learn
In line with Warwick Arts Centre policy, all Youth Theatre Leaders will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check prior to commencing employment (paid for by the University). The DBS disclosure must be obtained through Unitemps as we are not able to accept one provided by another place of work.
If this sounds like the opportunity for you, please click here to apply via Unitemps.